Friday, January 8, 2010

I’m looking to become a Certified Nurse’s Aid. I could use advice about going for a CNA? What to expect ect.

I have just retired from 32 years as a long hall trucker, and I'm looking to start school in a few weeks, to become an RN.


In the meantime I’m looking to become a Certified Nurse’s Aid and snag some work in a nursing home.


I could use any advise you may have about going for a CNA?


BobbieI’m looking to become a Certified Nurse’s Aid. I could use advice about going for a CNA? What to expect ect.
You would need to take the required courses and the national certification exam before you'd be considered for a position and if you want to be a CNA. There are programs taught at regional occupational centers. Some community colleges may offer this program. If you're starting an RN program in a few weeks, you will not be able to complete a Nurse Aid program within that time frame. I don't suggest entering the two programs concurrently. Focus on the RN. And if there's anything I can help you with, let me know.





I reread what you said and you stated you're ';looking to start school';. Does this mean you've been accepted into an RN program and will start in a few weeks, you're starting classes to fulfill your prerequisites or you're just hoping everything will somehow fall into place?I’m looking to become a Certified Nurse’s Aid. I could use advice about going for a CNA? What to expect ect.
Hello TweetyBird,


I’m Bobbie’s roommate. I’m signed in at the moment. But Bobbie’s here over my shoulder.


She HAS been accepted in to a two year RN program


Hugs,


Penny%26amp;Bobbie


And thank you both for the help :)
You are very smart to get your CNA before starting nursing school. You'll find that the CNA class is much easier than the nursing classes. Being a CNA and comfortable with peri care, feeding and transferring...general patient contact will make your world a much better place when clinicals come around. Your first few days of CNA work will most likely be scary (it was for me) but then butts and everything else under the sun will be no big deal :)


The hardest thing I think, was time management. It's hard to know who to get up or put to bed first, especially when you don't know the client. One of the most important things is SAFETY. Always check before you leave their room: Beds locked, rails up (or down if they are supposed to be), alarms and floor clean.


You will make your nurse very happy if you let her know who has a skin tear, sore feet, red bottoms...if they are complaining of pain or dizziness...and you go tell the nurse and you took their vital signs first...the nurse will love you!
You will be required to take some courses and take a test to get your certification. Over all its worth it, they don't get paid as much as an RN but still, not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment