Friday, April 30, 2010

Help... Need advice about work?

I have reached the point where i need to find a new job. I have been submitting resumes on hotjobs, careerbuilder and monster.com and I am having no luck with any of it. I have a B.S. in biology from a very good school and I feel like this job isn't using my knowledge or my skills. Does anyone have any advice about how to find a good job? I need to know what I am doing wrong...





Thanks for the help!!!Help... Need advice about work?
What you're doing wrong is tossing your resume out into the ether and expecting the employer to do all the work to find you. You need to take a more proactive approach.





Decide what kinds of jobs you want to do (marine biologist? Researcher? pharmaceuticals?) that would use your education. Then find companies that do that kind of work, do some research on them, and CALL them and ask to speak to the human resources people. Tell them about yourself, ask them what positions they have open, and tell them you'd like to send your resume to be considered. Go after the jobs you want, don't just toss out a resume and wait for your ';ideal'; job to come to you.


Good luck.Help... Need advice about work?
You need to ask around. Talk to colleagues in your field. Get good word of mouth going. Those job Web sites won't get you anywhere. Unless you want to manage a Taco Bell...
unfortuantley the only way someone will find you is if you continue to updat your resume and cover letter on those sites. Stay on top of it. Look in the classifieds and local newspapers that have job postings. Look on Craigslist and other online companies that have job listings.





Good Luck!
My brother is going through the same thing. My advice to him was that the grass is greener theory holds true when it comes to employment. If you have good pay, room to 'move up', and good benefits, then stay. Every job I ever had I disliked my boss, and most of my co-workers too. SSDD, ya know? There are always going to be a$$hole bosses and incompetent co-workers. Sometimes you just trade one bad situation for another. Cheers to those who have good bosses and friendly co-workers I envy you! Luckily now, I'm my own boss, and sometimes I'm even mean to myself! LOL!!!
With a specialized degree like yours, you might do better going through a headhunter than through resume submission sites. Look into recruiting firms in your area. The legitimate ones will not charge the candidate a fee for placement; placement is paid by the employer. An employer looking for a person with a highly specialized skillset will be more likely to go through a headhunter than a recruitment web site.
Sadly, I'm in the same situation as you. Just keep submitting applications. Think about other areas you would be interested in--look at different industries. Alumni associations are also good resources for finding out what's out there for your field. Trust me, you're not doing anything wrong. Keep your head up and keep applying. I wish you the best of luck....
well i think that your probably not doing anything wrong but the other people are just stupid ....just don't worry because life is not fare :].
I think that there is a only one place where your skill will get proper shape that is http://www.careerbharat.com .
Seek out a headhunter in your city ... that is where I would start. Some companies will charge you for their services but it can be beneficial in the end because they can place you in the workforce.





I would also try something in pharmaceutical sales if you want to get into a large company that is medically driven.
  • top makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment