Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Need advice about older job hunters????

I have experience in clerical work plus many years in manufacturing years ago.


I am signed up with staffing agencies, and they say they have nothing for me.


I just turned 50. Is that part of it?? I have no formal degree, but certified with computer applications.


Am I missing something here??Need advice about older job hunters????
Skip the staffing agencies and search for work on your own. Make sure that your resume lists your qualifications and achievements. Do not put any dates on your resume that will give a potential employer a hint at your age. The trick is to get the interview and then sell the hiring manager on why you, regardless of age, are the best candidate for the job. Good luck.Need advice about older job hunters????
Tom H has some good advice. The only thing I would add is to check with the AARP (American Association of Retired People); they maintain a database of companies that are older worker/job hunter friendly.
As a 43 YO, BS degreed individual I can feel your pain. I unfortunately earned my marketing degree during the dot.com bust. I have only worked computer desktop support positions and found many required a computer degree or numerous certifications. Many co-workers seemed to be arrogant 20 somethings. I finally gave up and went to work for myself. Contact me if you need assistance or ideas to get started or just need a friend to talk to. ~ Regards, Don
  • top makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment