Saturday, December 19, 2009

I am about to fit out a narrowboat. Has anyone got any advice about the electrics and plumbing ? Thanks?

One of the Waterways Magazines has published a short series of books about fit-outs; the whole processes are explained. Graham Booth, Technical Editor of ';Waterways World'; has written a very comprehensive book on Fitting out a Narrow Boat.


Maybe you could get a copy from Amazon or your local library will have it.


The only advice I can give (from experience) is to make sure that fuses, etc., are easily accessible for when things go wrong - and they will!I am about to fit out a narrowboat. Has anyone got any advice about the electrics and plumbing ? Thanks?
I agree with Veronica.


I have looked at Narrow Boats as I think they pretty. I live in America and not see many of those here. But, they can be nice live aboard.


If you not sure, then I would buy a book. The main thing is look at how everything is laid out. Try to run plumbing where it not have problems from vibrating against a bulkhead and insulate them in areas of concern with a quality padding that will last. May sit down with a pencil and paper and just make a rough sketch and as you look where they can go draw the pipes. Think about things you may add later that may be connected and you can add T fittings as you go and cap them, Then you prepared for future add-ons if you ever decide to add what you see in the future.


Electrical is the same. Use good quality that can withstand the corrosion of the moist environment. Run the wires nice and neat. I would maybe use a PVC pipe to run the wires inside and have them neat inside the PVC should I need to pull one to replace they not all wrapped around each other in a ';bird's nest';. Again sit down and think about overhead lights or the possibility of adding some later and have the wires already run and in position.


Example here; Say I have a light on a Bulkhead by my cook stove. Later when I have more money and an idea of the type light I want I will install a light over the stove, not to the side. I can run wires both AC and DC and tape off ends and later they there and I hook them up and turn on at my Breaker/Fuse Box.


On the Fuse box I would have more than enough Fuses. Boats not need a lot, but, by having a nice area of fuses, many wires can be connected and again it look nice and neat and easy to identify what wire goes where. Also they can be numbered and wrote down on the cover what they do. After wires are connected I may use a Silicon Rubber (This for example, ask around what best) to rub over my connections to protect from moisture. I would seal off holes the wires come through and have a nice Rubber Type Seal on the cover.


Think about Batteries and how people do for your area. Here in America you may see many Battery lay outs. Some are 12 volt, 24 volt and 36 volt (DC). In these layouts it may be as simple as the batteries connected for that voltage. Some use switches that can make what they need the output for.


Example here; My brother's boat has ';twin screws'; (2 propellers). The engines crank/start off 36 volt DC battery array. He can turn a switch and get 12 volts off these batteries for other things or to charge with a 12 volt charger if need be (He has a 36 volt charger too, which I had to fix on the fly in Hurricane 'Rita'). But, had I not fixed the charger we could have turned the switch and used a 12 volt charger.


I know this a little long and I know where you will use your boat. But, I not know what all it will have and need for your preference. So, think and Brainstorm best you can to have nice laid out plumbing and electrical that can be added to and worked on easily in the future. Good Luck and I really do think those are beautiful boats.

No comments:

Post a Comment